Istanbul, a fascinating city built on two Continents, divided by the BosphorusStrait. This is one of the greatest cities in the world where you can see a modern western city combined with a traditional eastern vibe, it’s a melting pot of many civilizations and different people. Since the Republic in 1923, Istanbul continued to grow and today it boosted its population over 14 million people living in this spread out city. This makes Istanbul the largest city of Turkey and one of the biggest cities in the world.
1. Istanbul (ancient Byzantium) was founded on Seven Hills like Rome.
2. Istanbul is the only city in the world which is both in Europe and Asia geographically.
3. Istanbul is one of the most populated cities in the world, with around 15 million
population, which is more than 177 countries around the world.
4. Istanbul was the capital city of three major Empires: Eastern Roman Empire,
Byzantine Empire, and Ottoman Empire during their rule.
5. Istanbul has the third oldest subway in the world, built in 1875. It's 573 meters long
and located in Tunel neighborhood at Beyoglu district.
6. Grand Bazaar is the biggest old covered bazaar in the world, with over 3.000 shops.
7. Four bronze horses which are decorating today San Marco Cathedral in Venice, were
taken from Istanbul (Constantinople back then) by the Crusaders in the 13th century.
8. During the Middle Ages in the Ottoman Empire, Istanbul had over 1.400 public toilets
in the city meanwhile there weren't any even at the palaces in France and other